|Amlodipine||Calcium channel blocker|
|AHFS/Drugs.com||Professional Drug Facts|
|(what is this?)|
Amlodipine/benazepril, marketed as Lotrel among others, is a medication used to treat high blood pressure. It is a combination of amlodipine, a calcium channel blocker and benazepril, an angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor. It may be used if a single agent is not sufficient. It is taken by mouth.
Common side effects include cough, dizziness, and swelling. Serious side effects may include angioedema, myocardial infarction, high blood potassium, liver problems, and low blood pressure. Use in pregnancy is not recommended. Amlodipine works by increasing the size of arteries while benazepril works by decreasing renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system activity.
The combination was approved for medical use in the United States in 1995. It is available as a generic medication. A month supply in the United States has a wholesale cost of about US$4.50. In 2017, it was the 160th most commonly prescribed medication in the United States, with more than three million prescriptions.
A month supply in the United States has a wholesale cost of about US$4.50. In 2017, it was the 160th most commonly prescribed medication in the United States, with more than three million prescriptions.
- "Amlodipine besylate and benazepril hydrochloride- amlodipine besylate and benazepril hydrochloride capsule". DailyMed. U.S. National Library of Medicine. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- Cerner Multum. "Amlodipine and benazepril Uses, Side Effects & Warnings". Drugs.com. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- Bope, Edward T.; Kellerman, Rick D. (2016). Conn's Current Therapy 2017 E-Book. Elsevier Health Sciences. p. 124. ISBN 978-0-323-44335-7. Unknown parameter
- "NADAC as of 2019-02-27". Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Retrieved 3 March 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Top 300 of 2020". ClinCalc DrugStats Database. ClinCalc LLC. Retrieved 11 April 2020.
- "Amlodipine Besylate; Benazepril Hydrochloride - Drug Usage Statistics". ClinCalc DrugStats Database. ClinCalc LLC. Retrieved 11 April 2020.
- Faulkner MA, Hilleman DE (January 2001). "Amlodipine/benazepril: fixed dose combination therapy for hypertension". Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy. 2 (1): 165–78. doi:10.1517/146565188.8.131.52. PMID 11336577. S2CID 23021242.
- "Amlodipine mixture with Benazepril". Drug Information Portal. U.S. National Library of Medicine.