|Trade names||Efflumidex, Flucon, FML Forte, others|
|Other names||Fluorometholone acetate|
|Drug class||Corticosteroid (glucocorticoid)|
|Main uses||Allergic conjunctivitis, anterior uveitis|
|Side effects||Increased eye pressure, blurry vision, eye irritation, change in taste|
|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||376.468 g·mol−1|
|3D model (JSmol)|
Fluorometholone, sold under the brand names Efflumidex among others, is a steroid used to treat inflammatory eye diseases such as allergic conjunctivitis and anterior uveitis. It is used as an eye drop.
Common side effects include increased eye pressure, blurry vision, eye irritation, and change in taste. Other side effects may include cataracts and eye infection. It is a corticosteroid, specifically a glucocorticoid. It comes in two main forms fluorometholone and fluorometholone acetate.
Fluorometholone was patented in 1959. It is available as a generic medication. In the United Kingdom 10 ml of solution costs the NHS about £3 as of 2021. This amount in the United States costs about 42 USD.
It is applied every hour for the first 1 to 2 days and than two to four times per day.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Use during breastfeeding is not believed to be of concern.
Chemically it is known under the name 6α-methyl-9α-fluoro-11β,17α-dihydroxypregna-1,4-diene-3,20-dione, (6S,8S,9R,10S,11S,13S,14S,17R)-17-acetyl-9-fluoro-11,17-dihydroxy-6,10,13-trimethyl-6,7,8,11,12,14,15,16-octahydrocyclopenta[a]phenanthren-3-one.
- "Fluorometholone Monograph for Professionals". Drugs.com. Archived from the original on 31 July 2020. Retrieved 14 December 2021.
- Elks J (14 November 2014). The Dictionary of Drugs: Chemical Data: Chemical Data, Structures and Bibliographies. Springer. pp. 566–. ISBN 978-1-4757-2085-3. Archived from the original on 1 August 2020. Retrieved 3 October 2021.
- "FML Ophthalmic Ointment (fluorometholone) dose, indications, adverse effects, interactions... from PDR.net". www.pdr.net. Archived from the original on 28 September 2018. Retrieved 14 December 2021.
- BNF 81: March-September 2021. BMJ Group and the Pharmaceutical Press. 2021. p. 1208. ISBN 978-0857114105.
- "Fluorometholone Prices, Coupons & Savings Tips - GoodRx". GoodRx. Retrieved 14 December 2021.
- "Fluorometholone". Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed). National Library of Medicine (US). 2006. Archived from the original on 15 December 2021. Retrieved 14 December 2021.