|Intranasal, oral inhalation|
|Elimination half-life||15 hours|
|CompTox Dashboard (EPA)|
|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||538.58 g·mol−1|
|3D model (JSmol)|
Fluticasone furoate is a corticosteroid for the treatment of non-allergic and allergic rhinitis administered by a nasal spray. It is also available as an inhaled corticosteroid to help prevent and control symptoms of asthma. It is derived from cortisol. Unlike fluticasone propionate, which is only approved for children four years and older, fluticasone furoate is approved in children as young as two years of age when used for allergies.
Society and culture
In the US it is marketed by GlaxoSmithKline for asthma as Arnuity Ellipta and is only available with a prescription. It is marketed over-the-counter for allergic rhinitis as Flonase Sensimist. The Veramyst brand name has been discontinued in the U.S. It is also marketed as Allermist (Japan, アラミスト) and Avamys (Australia, Canada, EU, South Africa, South America, Mexico, Israel, Italy, India and South Korea).
The combination drug fluticasone furoate/vilanterol, marketed as Breo Ellipta (US, Canada, New Zealand) and Relvar Ellipta (EU, UK), is approved for use in the United States for long-term maintenance treatment of airflow obstruction in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). It is also approved for the treatment of asthma.
- Fluticasone furoate/umeclidinium bromide/vilanterol
- Fluticasone furoate/vilanterol
- Fluticasone propionate
- Fluticasone propionate/salmeterol
- "Fluticasone Use During Pregnancy". Drugs.com. 9 January 2019. Retrieved 4 February 2020.
- Bruni FM, De Luca G, Venturoli V, Boner AL (2009). "Intranasal corticosteroids and adrenal suppression". Neuroimmunomodulation. 16 (5): 353–62. doi:10.1159/000216193. PMID 19571596. S2CID 35006163.
- Kaliner, Michael A. (2011). Rhinitis, An Issue of Immunology and Allergy Clinics - E-Book. Elsevier Health Sciences. ISBN 9781455709328.
- "Veramyst". Drugs.com. 21 June 2019. Retrieved 4 February 2020.
- "Veramyst- fluticasone furoate spray, metered". DailyMed. 1 March 2010. Retrieved 4 February 2020.
- "Drug Approval Package: Veramyst (fluticasone furoate) NDA #022051". U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). 30 August 2010. Retrieved 4 February 2020.
- "Avamys EPAR". European Medicines Agency (EMA). Retrieved 5 June 2020.
- "Arnuity Ellipta- fluticasone furoate powder". DailyMed. 26 June 2019. Retrieved 4 February 2020.
- "Flonase Sensimist Allergy Relief- fluticasone furoate spray, metered". DailyMed. 30 May 2019. Retrieved 4 February 2020.
- "Breo Ellipta- fluticasone furoate and vilanterol trifenatate powder". DailyMed. 7 January 2019. Retrieved 4 February 2020.
- "Relvar Ellipta 92 micrograms/22 micrograms inhalation powder, pre-dispensed - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC)". (emc). 3 January 2019. Retrieved 4 February 2020.
- "Relvar Ellipta EPAR". European Medicines Agency (EMA). 17 September 2018. Retrieved 4 February 2020.
- "Fluticasone furoate". Drug Information Portal. U.S. National Library of Medicine.