|Trade names||Plegridy, Plegridy Pen|
|Main uses||Multiple sclerosis|
|Side effects||Headache, muscle pain, flu-like symptoms, fever, weakness, redness, pain or itching at the injection site|
|Typical dose||125 ucg|
|US NLM||Peginterferon beta-1a|
|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||44 000 g·mol−1|
Peginterferon beta-1a, sold under the brand name Plegridy, is medication used to treat multiple sclerosis. It is specifically used for the relapsing forms including clinically isolated syndrome, relapsing remitting disease, and active secondary progressive disease. It is given by injection under the skin.
Common side effects include headache, muscle pain, flu-like symptoms, fever, weakness, and redness, pain or itching at the injection site. Other side effects may include liver problems, depression, seizures, heart failure, and anaphylaxis. There are concerns with use in pregnancy. How it works is not entirely clear; however it is believed to suppress the immune system. It is made from interferon beta-1a joined with polyethylene glycol.
Peginterferon beta-1a was approved for medical use in the United States and Europe in 2014. In the United States it costs about 7,500 USD for 4 weeks of medication as of 2021. This amount in the United Kingdom costs the NHS about £650.
In the United States peginterferon beta-1a is indicated for the treatment of relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis (MS), to include clinically isolated syndrome, relapsing-remitting disease, and active secondary progressive disease, in adults.
In the European Union peginterferon beta-1a is indicated for the treatment of relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis in adults.
- "Peginterferon Beta-1a Monograph for Professionals". Drugs.com. Archived from the original on 5 March 2021. Retrieved 27 October 2021.
- "Plegridy EPAR". European Medicines Agency (EMA). Archived from the original on 26 June 2020. Retrieved 24 June 2020. Text was copied from this source which is © European Medicines Agency. Reproduction is authorized provided the source is acknowledged.
- "Peginterferon beta-1a (Plegridy) Use During Pregnancy". Drugs.com. 22 July 2019. Archived from the original on 26 June 2020. Retrieved 25 June 2020.
- "Plegridy- peginterferon beta-1a kit Plegridy Pen- peginterferon beta-1a kit Plegridy- peginterferon beta-1a injection, solution". DailyMed. 30 March 2020. Archived from the original on 26 June 2020. Retrieved 25 June 2020.
- "Peginterferon beta-1a (Plegridy) Use During Pregnancy". Drugs.com. Archived from the original on 26 June 2020. Retrieved 27 October 2021.
- "Plegridy Prices, Coupons & Patient Assistance Programs". Drugs.com. Archived from the original on 21 April 2021. Retrieved 27 October 2021.
- BNF 81: March-September 2021. BMJ Group and the Pharmaceutical Press. 2021. p. 897. ISBN 978-0857114105.