|Trade names||Podocon-25, others|
|Defined daily dose||not established|
Podophyllum resin, also known as podophyllum or podophyllin, is a resin made from the roots of the American mandrake. It is used as a medication to treat genital warts and plantar warts, including in people with HIV/AIDS. It is not recommended in HPV infections without external warts. Application by a healthcare provider to the skin is recommended.
Common side effects include redness, itchiness, and pain at the site of use. Severe side effects may include vomiting, abdominal pain, confusion, bone marrow suppression, and diarrhea. It is not recommended for more than a small area at a time. Use during pregnancy is known to be dangerous to the baby. It works mostly via podophyllotoxin which stops cell division.
Podophyllin resin has been used to treat warts since at least 1820. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines. In the United States a course of treatment costs about 50 to US$100. A formulation known as podophyllotoxin with less side effects is also available.
- "WHOCC - ATC/DDD Index". www.whocc.no. Retrieved 17 September 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Briggs, Gerald G.; Freeman, Roger K.; Yaffe, Sumner J. (2011). Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation: A Reference Guide to Fetal and Neonatal Risk. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. p. 1190. ISBN 9781608317080. Archived from the original on 2016-12-22. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Podophyllum Resin". The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. Archived from the original on 22 December 2016. Retrieved 8 December 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- World Health Organization (2009). Stuart MC, Kouimtzi M, Hill SR (eds.). WHO Model Formulary 2008. World Health Organization. pp. 307, 309. hdl:10665/44053. ISBN 9789241547659.
- Arora, Rajesh (2010). Medicinal Plant Biotechnology. CABI. p. 36. ISBN 9781845936921. Archived from the original on 2016-12-22. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- World Health Organization (2019). World Health Organization model list of essential medicines: 21st list 2019. Geneva: World Health Organization. hdl:10665/325771. WHO/MVP/EMP/IAU/2019.06. License: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 IGO.
- Hamilton, Richart (2015). Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopoeia 2015 Deluxe Lab-Coat Edition. Jones & Bartlett Learning. p. 185. ISBN 9781284057560.
- "Podophyllum Resin". Drug Information Portal. U.S. National Library of Medicine.