Pregnancy and lactation-associated osteoporosis
|Pregnancy and lactation-associated osteoporosis|
|Other names: Pregnancy-associated osteoporosis (PAO)|
|a-d)Wedge-shaped deformity is observed in the 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th thoracic vertebrae and the 4th and 5th lumbar vertebrae.|
Pregnancy- and lactation-associated osteoporosis (PLO; also known as pregnancy-related osteoporosis) is a rare early presentation of osteoporosis in which young women experience low trauma or spontaneous fractures during or soon after pregnancy or lactation.
Fragility fractures of the spine are most commonly described, but the condition can be associated with other types of fracture. The symptoms usually appear during or after a first pregnancy with the most common complaint being severe back pain
The exact causes of the disease are not yet known, and most women with PLO have no known predisposing cause of osteoporosis or bone fragility.
- Kovacs C. S. (2014). "Osteoporosis presenting in pregnancy, puerperium, and lactation". Current Opinion in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Obesity. 21 (6): 468–475. doi:10.1097/MED.0000000000000102. PMID 25191853. S2CID 205791278.
- Kyverntinakis I.; et al. (2018). "Subsequent fracture risk of women with pregnancy and lactation associated osteoporosis after a median of 6 years of follow up". Osteoporosis International. 29 (1): 135–142. doi:10.1007/s00198-017-4239-1. PMID 28965212. S2CID 29490167.
- Smith R.; et al. (1995). "Pregnancy-associated osteoporosis". Q J Med. 88 (12): 865–887. PMID 8593546.
- Dunne F.; et al. (1993). "Pregnancy associated osteoporosis". Clin Endocrinol. 39 (4): 487–490. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2265.1993.tb02398.x. PMID 8287577. S2CID 72977666.
- Qian, Ying; Wang, Lei; Yu, Lili; Huang, Weimin (2021-11-03). "Pregnancy- and lactation-associated osteoporosis with vertebral fractures: a systematic review". BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. 22 (1): 926. doi:10.1186/s12891-021-04776-7. ISSN 1471-2474. PMC 8567545. PMID 34732196.