|Trade names||Actidil, Myidil|
With pseudoephedrine: Actifed
|Drug class||First generation antihistamine|
|Side effects||Sleepiness, dry mouth, nausea, dizziness, blurry vision, urinary retention|
|Elimination half-life||4–6 hours|
|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||278.399 g·mol−1|
|3D model (JSmol)|
|Melting point||60 °C (140 °F)|
|Solubility in water||500 mg/mL (20 °C)|
|(what is this?)|
Triprolidine, sold under the brand name Zymine among others, is a medication used to treat allergies and the symptoms of the common cold. It is taken by mouth. Use is not recommended in children less than 2 years old.
Common side effects include sleepiness, dry mouth, nausea, dizziness, blurry vision, and urinary retention. Safety in pregnancy is unclear; though use during breastfeeding appears okay. Other side effects may include low blood pressure. It is a first generation antihistamine.
Triprolidine was patented in 1948 and came into medical use in 1953. It is available as a generic medication and over the counter. In the United States 30 ml costs less around 20 USD. It may be sold together with other agents such as pseudoephedrine.
For the common cold it is not recommended in t hose under 6 years old.
Society and culture
The combination with pseudoephedrine is sold under the brand name Actifed among others.
The medication in the U.S. has a cost of $21 (USD) for 30 ml oral liquid 0.938 mg/mL
- "Triprolidine Monograph for Professionals". Drugs.com. Retrieved 20 September 2021.
- "Triprolidine Use During Pregnancy". Drugs.com. Retrieved 20 September 2021.
- Fischer J, Ganellin CR (2006). Analogue-based Drug Discovery. John Wiley & Sons. p. 546. ISBN 9783527607495.
- "Compare Triprolidine Prices - GoodRx". GoodRx. Retrieved 20 September 2021.
- "Over-the-counter cough and cold medicines for children". GOV.UK. Retrieved 20 September 2021.
- "List of nationally authorised medicinal products" (PDF). Retrieved 20 September 2021.
- "Triprolidine Prices, Coupons & Patient Assistance Programs". Drugs.com. Retrieved 9 April 2021.