|Trade names||Vagistat-1, others|
|Main uses||Vaginal yeast infection, fungal nail infection|
|Side effects||Burning, itching, headache|
|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||387.70 g·mol−1|
|(what is this?)|
Tioconazole, sold under the brand names Vagistat among others, is an antifungal medication used to treat vaginal yeast infections and fungal nail infections. It is applied to the site of infection. For nails, it may be used for 6 to 12 months.
Tioconazole was patented in 1975 and approved for medical use in 1982. It is available as a generic medication and over the counter. In the United Kingdom a bottle of the medication for us on the nails costs the NHS about £28 as of 2021. In the United States a single dose for in the vagina costs about 10 USD.
Side effects of vaginal tioconazole may include temporary burning itching, or irritation of the vagina. Vaginal swelling or redness, difficulty or burning during urination, headache, abdominal pain, and upper respiratory tract infection have been reported by people using tioconazole. These side effects may be only temporary, and do not normally interfere with the patient's comfort enough to outweigh the end result.
Antimycotic imidazole derivative.
A displacement reaction between 1-(2,4-dichlorophenyl)-2-(1H-imidazol-1-yl)ethanol and 2-chloro-3-(chloromethyl)thiophene is performed.
- "Tioconazole Monograph for Professionals". Drugs.com. Retrieved 4 October 2021.
- BNF (80 ed.). BMJ Group and the Pharmaceutical Press. September 2020 – March 2021. p. 1299. ISBN 978-0-85711-369-6.CS1 maint: date format (link)
- Fischer J, Ganellin CR (2006). Analogue-based Drug Discovery. John Wiley & Sons. p. 503. ISBN 9783527607495.
- "Compare Tioconazole Prices - GoodRx". GoodRx. Retrieved 4 October 2021.
- "VAGISTAT-1 Print Label" (PDF). Food and Drug Administration. 6 February 1997. Retrieved 25 January 2021.
- BE 841309, Gymer GE, issued 1976, assigned to Pfizer
- US 4062966, Gymer GE, issued 1977, assigned to Pfizer
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to [[commons:Lua error in Module:WikidataIB at line 506: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).|Lua error in Module:WikidataIB at line 506: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).]].|