|Trade names||Nurtec ODT, Vydura|
|Other names||BHV-3000, BMS-927711|
|Drug class||calcitonin gene-related peptide receptor antagonist|
|Onset of action||With 2 hr|
|Duration of action||48 hr|
|Typical dose||75 mg|
|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||534.568 g·mol−1|
|3D model (JSmol)|
Common side effects include nausea and abdominal pain. Other side effects may include allergic reactions. Safety in pregnancy and breastfeeding is unclear. It works by blocking the CGRP receptor.
Rimegepant was approved for medical use in the United States in 2020. In the United States it costs about 120 USD per dose as of 2021. As of 2021 it is not approved in Europe or the United Kingdom.
Mechanism of action
Rimegepant is a small molecule calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) receptor antagonist.
Originally discovered at Bristol-Myers Squibb, rimegepant was developed by Biohaven Pharmaceuticals, which markets the drug in the United States after receiving FDA approval in February 2020. Approval was based on evidence from one clinical trial of 1,351 subjects with migraine headaches.
- Skidmore-Roth, Linda (1 April 2021). Mosby's Drug Guide for Nursing Students with 2022 Update - E-Book. Elsevier Health Sciences. p. 1218. ISBN 978-0-323-87656-8. Archived from the original on 17 October 2021. Retrieved 17 October 2021.
- "Nurtec ODT - rimegepant sulfate tablet, orally disintegrating". DailyMed. 19 February 2020. Archived from the original on 28 November 2020. Retrieved 19 March 2020.
- "Rimegepant Monograph for Professionals". Drugs.com. Archived from the original on 28 January 2021. Retrieved 17 October 2021.
- "Rimegepant (Nurtec ODT) Use During Pregnancy". Drugs.com. Retrieved 17 October 2021.
- "Nurtec ODT Prices, Coupons & Patient Assistance Programs". Drugs.com. Archived from the original on 7 June 2021. Retrieved 17 October 2021.
- "Rimegepant". SPS - Specialist Pharmacy Service. 5 October 2017. Archived from the original on 17 October 2021. Retrieved 17 October 2021.
- Diener HC, Charles A, Goadsby PJ, Holle D (October 2015). "New therapeutic approaches for the prevention and treatment of migraine". The Lancet. Neurology. 14 (10): 1010–22. doi:10.1016/S1474-4422(15)00198-2. PMID 26376968. S2CID 26523013.
- "Rimegepant - Biohaven Pharmaceuticals Holding Company". Adis Insight. Springer Nature Switzerland AG. Archived from the original on 2020-02-23. Retrieved 2021-07-16.
- "Biohaven's Nurtec ODT (rimegepant) Receives FDA Approval for the Acute Treatment of Migraine in Adults" (Press release). Biohaven Pharmaceuticals Holding Company Ltd. 27 February 2020. Archived from the original on 26 July 2021. Retrieved 16 July 2021 – via PR Newswire.
- "Drug Trials Snapshots: Nurtec ODT". U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). 27 February 2020. Archived from the original on 1 October 2020. Retrieved 19 March 2020. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "Nurtec ODT: FDA-Approved Drugs". U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Archived from the original on 30 September 2020. Retrieved 28 February 2020.
- "Biohaven Pharma's (BHVN) NURTEC ODT Approved In Israel For Acute Treatment Of Migraine". StreetInsider.com. Archived from the original on 2021-06-03. Retrieved 2021-06-03.
- "Nurtec ODT: Treatment and Prevention of Migraine? And How to Get It". Migraine Again. 2021-04-14. Archived from the original on 2021-06-03. Retrieved 2021-06-03.
- "Biohaven's NURTEC® ODT Approved In United Arab Emirates For Acute Treatment Of Migraine". Biohaven Pharmaceuticals. Archived from the original on 2021-03-11. Retrieved 2021-06-03.
- "Nurtec ODT Prescribing Information" (PDF). FDA.gov. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. June 2021. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2021-05-28. Retrieved 2021-07-16.