|A pisiform fracture|
|Symptoms||Wrist pain on the side with the little finger|
|Complications||Arthritis, avascular necrosis|
|Types||Transverse, parasagittal, comminuted, pisiform-triquetral impaction|
|Causes||Direct hit, repetitive injury|
|Diagnostic method||Medical imaging|
|Differential diagnosis||Hamate fracture, flexor carpi ulnaris tendonitis|
|Frequency||<2% of wrist fractures|
Pisiform fracture is a break of the pisiform bone of the wrist. Symptoms include wrist pain on the side with the little finger. They may occur in association with other wrist bone fractures, injury to the ulnar nerve, or ulnar artery. Complications may include arthritis and avascular necrosis.
The cause is generally the wrist being directly hit, such as may occur during sports, falling on an outstretched hand, or from repetitive injuries. It may also occur as an avulsion fracture. Types are transverse, parasagittal, comminuted, and pisiform-triquetral impaction. Diagnosis is generally by X-rays, though specific views may be required. CT scan may be bone to rule out other injuries.
- Suh, N; Ek, ET; Wolfe, SW (April 2014). "Carpal fractures". The Journal of hand surgery. 39 (4): 785–91, quiz 791. doi:10.1016/j.jhsa.2013.10.030. PMID 24679911.
- "Pisiform Fracture - Hand - Orthobullets". www.orthobullets.com. Archived from the original on 29 December 2021. Retrieved 24 September 2022.
- Cooney, William P. (21 December 2011). The Wrist: Diagnosis and Operative Treatment. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. p. 455. ISBN 978-1-4511-4826-8. Archived from the original on 27 September 2022. Retrieved 24 September 2022.
- Weerakkody, Yuranga. "Pisiform fracture | Radiology Reference Article | Radiopaedia.org". Radiopaedia. Archived from the original on 8 November 2021. Retrieved 24 September 2022.
- Walls, Ron; Hockberger, Robert; Gausche-Hill, Marianne (9 March 2017). Rosen's Emergency Medicine - Concepts and Clinical Practice E-Book. Elsevier Health Sciences. p. 516. ISBN 978-0-323-39016-3. Archived from the original on 27 September 2022. Retrieved 24 September 2022.
- Doral, Mahmut Nedim; Karlsson, Jón; Nyland, John; Benedetto, Karl Peter (15 May 2019). Intraarticular Fractures: Minimally Invasive Surgery, Arthroscopy. Springer. p. 200. ISBN 978-3-319-97602-0. Archived from the original on 27 September 2022. Retrieved 24 September 2022.
- Berger, Richard A.; Weiss, Arnold-Peter C. (2004). Hand Surgery. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. p. 419. ISBN 978-0-7817-2874-4. Archived from the original on 2022-09-27. Retrieved 2022-09-24.