|Olmesartan||Angiotension receptor blocker|
|Trade names||Benicar HCT, Benitec H, others|
|Defined daily dose||not established|
Olmesartan/hydrochlorothiazide, sold under the brand name Benicar HCT among others, is a medication used to treat high blood pressure. It is a combination of olmesartan, an angiotension receptor blocker and hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic. It may be used if olmesartan is not sufficient to manage blood pressure. It is taken by mouth.
Common side effects include nausea, dizziness, and upper respiratory tract infections. Serious side effects may include kidney problems, allergic reactions, electrolyte problems and low blood pressure. Use in pregnancy is not recommended. Olmesartan works by blocking the effects of angiotensin II while hydrochlorothiazide works by increasing the loss of sodium by the kidneys.
No generic version is available in the United States as of 2017. A month supply in the United Kingdom costs the NHS about 13 £ as of 2019. In the United States the wholesale cost of this amount is about US$6. In 2017, it was the 292nd most commonly prescribed medication in the United States, with more than one million prescriptions.
Society and culture
A month supply in the United Kingdom costs the NHS about 13 £ as of 2019. In the United States the wholesale cost of this amount is about US$6. In 2017, it was the 292nd most commonly prescribed medication in the United States, with more than one million prescriptions.
- "WHOCC - ATC/DDD Index". www.whocc.no. Retrieved 10 September 2020.
- Bope, Edward T.; Kellerman, Rick D. (2016). Conn's Current Therapy 2017 E-Book. Elsevier Health Sciences. p. 124. ISBN 9780323443357.
- British national formulary : BNF 76 (76 ed.). Pharmaceutical Press. 2018. pp. 177–178. ISBN 9780857113382.
- "Olmesartan Medoxomil and Hydrochlorothiazide - FDA prescribing information, side effects and uses". Drugs.com. Retrieved 11 March 2019.
- "NADAC as of 2019-02-27". Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Retrieved 3 March 2019.
- "The Top 300 of 2020". ClinCalc. Retrieved 11 April 2020.
- "Hydrochlorothiazide; Olmesartan Medoxomil - Drug Usage Statistics". ClinCalc. Retrieved 11 April 2020.