|Esomeprazole magnesium||Proton pump inhibitor|
|AHFS/Drugs.com||Professional Drug Facts|
Naproxen/esomeprazole, sold under the brand name Vimovo, is a pain medication that is taken by mouth, with delayed release of esomeprazole, a proton pump inhibitor (PPI)" and naproxen. It is approved in the United States for osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and ankylosing spondylitis. The inclusion of a PPI is intended to decrease the risk of gastric ulcers from treatment with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
It is available as a generic medication. It was originally produced by AstraZeneca. In the United States it costs about 740 USD per month as of 2020. The cost of the individual components; however, is about 23 USD for esomeprazole and 10 USD for naproxen.
Society and culture
Vimovo was acquired by the Ireland-based company, Horizon Pharma on November 19, 2013. AstraZeneca retained "ex-U.S. rights to VIMOVO".
The medication cost in the U.S. for 60 tablets in delayed release tablet 20 mg-375 mg is $1,082 (USD)
The cost of the naproxen and esomeprazole separately in 2017 was $40 a month. Horizon Pharma bills insurance companies $3,252 a month for Vimovo. According to The Atlantic, "since 2014, Horizon Pharma’s net sales have been more than $455 million".
- "Esomeprazole / naproxen (Vimovo) Use During Pregnancy". Drugs.com. 11 September 2019. Retrieved 17 August 2020.
- "Horizon Pharma Announces Agreement to Acquire U.S. Rights to VIMOVO(R) and Provides 2014 Guidance". Horizon Pharma, Inc. Deerfield, Illinois. November 19, 2013.(NASDAQ: HZNP)
- "VIMOVO® (naproxen and esomeprazole magnesium) Tablets". Horizon Pharma. nd. Retrieved June 20, 2017.
- "Vimovo Prices, Coupons & Savings Tips". GoodRx. Retrieved 15 November 2020.
- "Esomeprazole Prices, Coupons & Savings Tips". GoodRx. Retrieved 15 November 2020.
- "Naproxen Prices, Coupons & Savings Tips". GoodRx. Retrieved 15 November 2020.
- "Esomeprazole/naproxen Prices, Coupons & Patient Assistance Programs". Drugs.com. Retrieved 29 March 2021.
- Allen, Marshall (June 20, 2017). "How Two Common Medications Became One $455 Million Specialty Pill". The Atlantic. Retrieved June 20, 2017.
After I was prescribed a brand-name drug I didn’t need and given a coupon to cover the out-of-pocket costs, I discovered yet another reason why Americans pay too much for health care.
- "Esomeprazole magnesium mixture with naproxen". Drug Information Portal. U.S. National Library of Medicine.