|Other names||Meglumine antimonate|
|Defined daily dose||not established|
|AHFS/Drugs.com||Micromedex Detailed Consumer Information|
|Chemical and physical data|
|3D model (JSmol)|
|(what is this?)|
Meglumine antimoniate is a medicine used to treat leishmaniasis. This includes visceral, mucocutaneous, and cutaneous leishmaniasis. It is given by injection into a muscle or into the area infected.
Side effects include loss of appetite, nausea, abdominal pain, cough, feeling tired, muscle pain, irregular heartbeat, and kidney problems. It should not be used in people with significant heart, liver, or kidney problems. It is not recommended during breastfeeding. It belongs to a group of medications known as the pentavalent antimonials.
Meglumine antimoniate came into medical use in 1946. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines. The wholesale cost in the developing world is about 4.32 USD per vial as of 2014. It is available in Southern Europe and Latin America but not the United States.
Society and culture
- "WHOCC - ATC/DDD Index". www.whocc.no. Retrieved 21 September 2020.
- World Health Organization (2009). Stuart MC, Kouimtzi M, Hill SR (eds.). WHO Model Formulary 2008. World Health Organization. p. 183. hdl:10665/44053. ISBN 9789241547659.
- Sneader, Walter (2005). Drug Discovery: A History. John Wiley & Sons. p. 59. ISBN 9780470015520. Archived from the original on 2016-12-20.
- World Health Organization (2019). World Health Organization model list of essential medicines: 21st list 2019. Geneva: World Health Organization. hdl:10665/325771. WHO/MVP/EMP/IAU/2019.06. License: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 IGO.
- "Meglumine Antimonate". International Drug Price Indicator Guide. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- Bope, Edward T.; Kellerman, Rick D.; Rakel, Robert E. (2010). Conn's Current Therapy 2011: Expert Consult. Elsevier Health Sciences. p. 95. ISBN 143773572X. Archived from the original on 2016-12-20.
- Gorbach, Sherwood L.; Bartlett, John G.; Blacklow, Neil R. (2004). Infectious Diseases. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. p. 355. ISBN 9780781733717. Archived from the original on 2016-12-20.
- Aventis press release Archived 2014-05-22 at the Wayback Machine, 15 April 2005. (in German)
- "Meglumine antimoniate". Drug Information Portal. U.S. National Library of Medicine.