|Trade names||Arcapta, Onbrez, others|
|Other names||Indacaterol maleate|
|Drug class||Long-acting beta-adrenoceptor agonist (LABA)|
|Main uses||Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)|
|Side effects||Upper respiratory tract infection, chest pain, cough|
|Typical dose||75 to 300 mg OD|
|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||392.499 g·mol−1|
|3D model (JSmol)|
|(what is this?)|
Common side effects include upper respiratory tract infection, chest pain, and cough. In those with asthma it may increase the risk of death. It is a long-acting beta-adrenoceptor agonist (LABA).
Indacaterol was approved for medical use in Europe in 2009 and the United States in 2011. In the United Kingdom it costs the NHS about £32 a month as of 2021. In the United States this amount costs about 260 USD.
A Cochrane review found benefit in lung function in people with COPD at least as good as that seen with twice-daily long-acting beta2-agonists.
It was approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) under the brand name Onbrez Breezhaler on November 30, 2009, and by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA), under the brand name Arcapta Neohaler, on July 1, 2011. In 2016, Novartis licensed its U.S. commercial rights for Arcapta Neohaler to Sunovion Pharmaceuticals.
- "Indacaterol Monograph for Professionals". Drugs.com. Retrieved 26 November 2021.
- "Onbrez Breezhaler". Retrieved 26 November 2021.
- "Arcapta Neohaler (indacaterol) inhalation powder Initial U.S. Approval: 2011". DailyMed. 1 April 2020. Retrieved 14 June 2021.
- "Onbrez Breezhaler EPAR". European Medicines Agency (EMA). Retrieved 20 January 2021.
- "Oslif Breezhaler EPAR". European Medicines Agency (EMA). Retrieved 20 January 2021.
- "Hirobriz Breezhaler EPAR". European Medicines Agency (EMA). Retrieved 20 January 2021.
- BNF 81: March-September 2021. BMJ Group and the Pharmaceutical Press. 2021. p. 267. ISBN 978-0857114105.
- "Indacaterol Prices, Coupons & Savings Tips - GoodRx". GoodRx. Retrieved 26 November 2021.
- Geake, James B (2015). "Indacaterol, a once-daily beta2-agonist, versus twice-daily beta2-agonists or placebo for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease". Reviews. 1: CD010139. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD010139.pub2. PMC 6464646. PMID 25575340.
- European Public Assessment Report for Onbrez Breezhaler Archived 2010-01-16 at the Wayback Machine
- "FDA approves Arcapta Neohaler to treat chronic obstructive pulmonary disease" (Press release). U.S. Food and Drug Administration. 2011-07-01. Retrieved 2011-07-02.[dead link]
- "Drug Approval Package: Arcapta Neohaler (indacaterol maleate) NDA #022383". U.S. Food and Drug Administration. 13 August 2013. Retrieved 14 June 2021. Lay summary (PDF).
- Faulkner, Sarah (22 December 2016). "Sunovion, Novartis ink licensing deal for inhaled COPD drugs". Drug Delivery Business.