|Metabolism||Major urinary metabolites are fenoprofen glucuronide and 4′-hydroxyfenoprofen glucuronide.|
|Elimination half-life||3 hours|
|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||242.274 g·mol−1|
|3D model (JSmol)|
Fenoprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Fenoprofen calcium is used for symptomatic relief for rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and mild to moderate pain. Fenoprofen is marketed in the US as Nalfon.
History of significantly impaired renal function; patients with known hypersensitivity to any component of the product; patients who have experienced asthma, urticaria, or allergic-type reactions after taking aspirin or other NSAIDs; treatment of perioperative pain in the setting of coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery.
In October 2020, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) required the drug label to be updated for all nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications to describe the risk of kidney problems in unborn babies that result in low amniotic fluid. They recommend avoiding NSAIDs in pregnant women at 20 weeks or later in pregnancy.
- Aminoglycosides (e.g. gentamicin): Plasma aminoglycoside levels may be elevated.
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors: Antihypertensive effect of ACE inhibitors may be diminished.
- Anticoagulants: Coadministration may prolong prothrombin time.
- Aspirin: Fenoprofen Cl may be increased; coadministration is not recommended.
- Diuretics: Patients treated with fenoprofen may be resistant to the effects of loop diuretics and thiazides.
- Hydantoins, sulfonamides, sulfonylureas: Fenoprofen may displace these drugs from their binding site.
- Lithium: Renal Cl of lithium may be reduced and plasma levels may be elevated, which may increase the risk of lithium toxicity.
- Methotrexate: May increase methotrexate levels.
- Phenobarbital: May decrease fenoprofen t ½ . Dosage adjustments of fenoprofen may be required if phenobarbital is added or withdrawn.
- SSRIs (e.g. fluoxetine, citalopram): The risk of GI effects may be increased.
False elevation in free and total serum T3 as measured by Amerlex-M kit.
Decreases inflammation, pain, and fever, probably through inhibition of cyclooxygenase (COX-2 inhibitor) activity and prostaglandin synthesis.
Society and culture
The cost of this medication in the U.S. for $290 (USD) for 90 capsules (400 mg) 
- UK - Fenopron (Typharm Limited)
- "Fenoprofen - FDA prescribing information, side effects and uses". Drugs.com. Retrieved 30 March 2021.
- "FDA Warns that Using a Type of Pain and Fever Medication in Second Half of Pregnancy Could Lead to Complications". U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) (Press release). 15 October 2020. Retrieved 15 October 2020. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "NSAIDs may cause rare kidney problems in unborn babies". U.S. Food and Drug Administration. 21 July 2017. Retrieved 15 October 2020. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "Fenoprofen Prices, Coupons & Patient Assistance Programs". Drugs.com. Retrieved 30 March 2021.