Broad ligament of the uterus
|Broad ligament of the uterus|
|Latin||ligamentum latum uteri|
|Mesometrium||uterus - the largest portion of the broad ligament|
The contents of the broad ligament include the following:
- Uterine tubes (or Fallopian tube)
- ovary (some sources consider the ovary to be on the broad ligament, but not in it.)
The peritoneum surrounds the uterus like a flat sheet that folds over its fundus, covering it anteriorly and posteriorly; on the sides of the uterus, this sheet of peritoneum comes in direct contact with itself, forming the double layer of peritoneum known as the broad ligament of the uterus.
The broad ligament serves as a mesentery for the uterus, ovaries, and the uterine tubes. It helps in maintaining the uterus in its position, but it is not a major contributing factor.
Broad ligament of adult, showing epoöphoron.
- Swiss embryology (from UL, UB, and UF) ugenital/diffmorpho05
- Carretero, A.; Ruberte, J.; Navarro, M. (2017-01-01), Ruberte, Jesús; Carretero, Ana; Navarro, Marc (eds.), "9 - Female genital organs", Morphological Mouse Phenotyping, Academic Press, pp. 227–251, ISBN 978-0-12-812805-3, retrieved 2021-02-03
- pelvis at The Anatomy Lesson by Wesley Norman (Georgetown University) (uterus, broadligament)
- Kyung Won, PhD. Chung (2005). Gross Anatomy (Board Review). Hagerstown, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. p. 273. ISBN 0-7817-5309-0.
- "Chapter 35: Female genitalia". Archived from the original on 2017-12-06. Retrieved 2007-12-09.
- Anatomy photo:43:03-0300 at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center
- Anatomy image:9671 at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center
- Anatomy image:9783 at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center
- Anatomy photo: Reproductive/mammal/femalesys1/femalesys6 - Comparative Organology at University of California, Davis - Mammal, female overview (Gross, Medium)"
- Diagram at med.mun.ca
- figures/chapter_35/35-2.HTM: Basic Human Anatomy at Dartmouth Medical School